HomeAbout MeAround the ShopEvents and ShowsTutorials and Recipes

March 15, 2012

Antique Window Screen & Old Door Cabinet


Making something from almost nothing is what I love to do most.
This project came together when I saw the screens were the exact same size as the door.
A lot of the work was already done for me.

I used a table saw to split the door evenly down the center and
permanently attached the back screen to each side panel of the door.


Once that was done, I used scrap wood to
make the shelves.
They are attached from the outside with a nail gun.


I removed the old door hardware and added a hook latch
to keep the front door closed.



I was able to salvage the original door hinges to add the screen to the
door panel.
It easily swings open to access the inside storage.


I did absolutely nothing to the old wood as I wanted to keep
it as original as possible.  After all if you are going to repaint or redo,
why not just use new wood.

I added trim molding around the base along with
four industrial metal wheels.

My old white clay pots look great inside, but it could also store
linens, kitchen items, kid's stuff....
whatever you want.


Thanks for stopping by today,
You know I love it when you come.

This week I am joining
AND be sure to check this one out.....

14 comments:

  1. Hi Jana,
    You amaze me with your multiple talents. Building furniture, making beautiful upholstered cushions, creating lovely clothing and on and on. How in the world do you find the time.......
    Love this piece, it's so perfect and meets every need for total shabby love.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it!!!
    great job.
    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana- What an amazing piece. I love it and it just makes me want to touch it! What a great job you did here! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea! Now I know how to build my pantry cabinet!!

    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jana,
    LOVE it! Isn't it great when it all comes together! This (I think) is my first visit...loved your crib-turned daybed!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really are amazing, Jana! Everything you do is just fabulous! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday! Your participation is always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! So glad you left the wood chippy :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great cabinet. Love the old screen and door combination!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI! I found your wonderful blog through Feathered Nest Fridays! Love the screen/door cabinet! This would be perfect for storing items in my office/studio so I will be on the look-out for an old door and some screen windows! I love creating new things from old ones! I am now following and am looking forward to reading more great posts and admiring more photos! Please feel free to stop by and see me too! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute, so many ways you could use this in any room, really creative.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the cabinet with the screen door. I have some and will be making cabinets,thanks to you and your ideas. Great job.
    Betty Whatley
    bjwhatley@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea and it opens up lots of other ideas for old doorsas well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean alot to me......thank you for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...