HomeAbout MeAround the ShopEvents and ShowsTutorials and Recipes

November 23, 2011

Just How Does a Tradition BECOME a Tradition?


It was quite by accident, I assure you. 
Nothing that I put hours into thinking about trying to come up
with the perfect tradition my family would remember always
and continue after I'm gone.

 Of course, special family dinners always start with a beautiful table....
Never, ever any paper plates or napkins here.......
And plastic utensils, or plastic anything.....oh, my....just can't do it!

 But the year I came across these glass star candle holders was the year it all made sense.
Several things were going on within our family group......my breast cancer, Papa's George's stroke, an armed robbery effecting my daughter directly......and more than I need to share. 
We all needed hope, we all needed faith, and we all needed to focus on what was good rather than bad.

I placed one of these inexpensive glass stars with a candle in each place setting, lighting them right before the family sat down.
Grace is always said first, and after that, but before we start passing all the wonderful plates and bowls of luscious foods prepared just for the day....we stop.

One at a time, we go around the table with each person stating in just a few sentences what they are grateful for......then they make their silent wish and blow out their candle.  It helps everyone to realize that regardless of the trials and tribulations in life, there is always something to be grateful for.  There is sometimes laughter.....often times tears, but
Always a wonderful closeness that is treasured by all of us.

We do this each family gathering, whether it be Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, or whenever....
It makes us that much closer.


I'll be cooking all this evening and tomorrow and there will no time for blogging,
I  wanted to make sure I shared my best wishes and love with each and
every one of you with the hopes you are as blessed
as I am.....
 and that your Thanksgiving is as special as I know mine will be.

Be Safe.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jana,
    What a beautiful family tradition. I have tears in my eyes just reading this and it's wonderful to know that others can find peace and hopefulness by wishing for the best.
    I pray that you and your family have a blessed and peaceful thanksgiving.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tradition near had me in tears reading it xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean alot to me......thank you for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...