HomeAbout MeAround the ShopEvents and ShowsTutorials and Recipes

April 14, 2009

It's the Simple Things that Make Me Happy.......


Of all the things to start right here before the May 9th Trade Days Sale, I have decided to plant a garden on the back lot as well.....yeppers, I have. When I couldn't find a natural soap to sell in my store that I liked, I just learned to make my own. When I didn't like any of the overprocessed candles I came across.....I just learned to make my own. So I thought it made really good sense to provide my own little Farmer's Market as well. I contacted produce seller after produce seller and found they ALL get their produce from the same supplier, not much of which is actually produced locally. It is shipped in from other states and Mexico.


Since I have about 3/4 of an acre behind my store and only use it for the Trade Days sale twice a year, it just made sense to put it to better use....at least some of the time. Once we removed the asphalt that remained from a very, very old parking lot (and boy, was that a BIG job) I started designing some landscape projects that wouldn't interfere with the flea market, but that would add to what I have always thought a very ugly area. That's actually when the idea came to me for a vegetable garden and all I had to do was mention it to my sweet, sweet man. It started happening that weekend, and now we are almost ready to plant. We are going to have tomatoes, onions, beans, okra, summer squash, cucumbers, radishes, and eggplant.


I have now given him plans......or my vision of a vegetable cart for the front of the store.....I mean, a girl's gotta have a cute place to "peddle her produce". Look for an update on this story to come..........I can just see OK Carter doing another story on my store with a headline "Local Business Woman to Start Farming Downtown". Crazy....maybe. Happy...definitely.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! Save me some okra & tomatoes. I have too much grass to dig up for a garden.
    Some of the girls will be coming to your shop. Lori from Katie's Rose Cottage. She love lace and roses and anything pink. She is so sweet and looks like my daughter.
    Have a great day.
    Smiles,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to have a reason for the overhauls (spelling???) :) Cute idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a great idea !! I can't wait to come visit which will be soon ~
    xoxo,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean alot to me......thank you for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...